Tuesday, March 08, 2005

i am a rotarian...

I remember back in college, one of my blockmates wrote an article foreseeing our future (I'm very sure there is a term for articles like that, but I can't grasp! Remind me!). Back then, I was quite active with church and civic activities. I taught mass songs and helped handling the children's choir. I even ran for the Sangguniang Kabataan as Chair(wo)man in our humble baranggay (but I lost). And so naturally, everybody thought I'm gonna end up a Social Worker of some sort.

Today, except that my employees usually think I am running a charitable institution (lahat ng personal nilang problema, akin!), I'm far from being a Social Worker. But I'm getting there somehow. About mid-last year, I joined the Rotary International - Club of Obando, and early this year, Rotary Club of Obando Foundation Inc. I've been attending meetings since I joined but have been failing to go to the various activities.

Until last saturday when I urged dad and mom (and Mhel as well, heheheh) that we go to the annual Governor's Ball in Olongapo, all because I HAD A NEW DRESS WITH MATCHING WEDGE SANDALS AND CUTIE PURSE to flaunt. Geesh. Such a shallow reason to go, I know. I would have chosen not to go (and play badminton instead!), but going is something I just had to experience. I am young, I am new, I am clueless. And the dress couldn't wait for another formal gathering, hihihi.

And I realized there is something I have to change in myself after the speech of Senator Richard Gordon. He said something about knowing what to do and actually doing something about it. The Rotary's mantra afterall is "Service above Self". His challenge therefore is live the mantra and a make a difference. Help the government in a small Rotarian way (sometimes in big ways). Provide education and lift this nation from poverty. There is just so much I need to do. And I haven't even started yet.

But I'm getting there. I need to act soon. maybe it's not yet too late to become a Social Worker -- a servant to my society.

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Kaje said...

hindi totoo yan!!! pinilit din ako noh! lintek na dress yan!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Credits:

Avatar by Cuz Marc
Banner Pix by Mhel
Paper from Playa kit by Robin Cabana
of Digital Freebies