Monday, May 30, 2005

first tourney experience

I thought we were gonna default our first game. I thought Mommy C couldn't shake the jitters off. I can't say I wasn't nervous. D**n I hardly slept the night before. But I was also excited.

We agreed to be at C650 at 10am, more than enough time to be ready for our first game at 1110am. I got there just in time even if my driver Mhel (teeheee!!) asked me to drive instead (he came from work). And Mommy C wasn't there yet. At around 11am, I got a text message from her saying that the fx she was riding in overheated. I panicked a little, even more when the heavy clouds finally broke into rains! Good thing the games did not start early/on time, our first game would definitely be delayed. Mommy C arrived all right and a few minutes after we were called for our first game. All games, by the way, are one set- race to 23 so there should be little room for errors, because once the opponents keep on gaining points, it's hard to catch-up (S**t I almost typed make habol instead of catch up!).

We were tipped that the first team we are playing against are "droppers" and even more terrifying -- "cross-droppers". Mommy C rolled her eyes because we've been practicing front-back positioning with her guarding the front side. And if the opponents are "droppers", Mommy C will have to move it, move it, move it. So we decided to try the side-by-side position. However, one thing I realized while on court is that (especially to new tourney players like us) it is hard to decide on one strategy and keep it for the rest of the game. You just forget and just get on with the game, one step at a time. I realized then that it was more important for me to stay at the back and return the opponents' clear shots because Mommy C was doing perfectly well at the front. And we were making points. During the game however, Mommy C requested that she stay at the back. She looked scared and tired that I just had to say yes. I couldn't tell her I was also anxious to take the front (I guess I recently lost my "front & drop charm") but we just had to support each other. It was afterall, OUR game. Mind you, we earned a couple or so points after we switched places!! We were losing hope as the other team's points were up to 22 (against our 16)! But they committed an error and it was time for us to add more points. I was the second server, our score was 19, when I committed a very unneccessary and stupid mistake: service mistake! I was definitely disappointed. I just gave the game away. We fought all the way to the end, 23-19. It wasn't at all bad but still it was disappointing losing a game we worked very hard for.

I can't remember much about our second game. But it was more fun than the first. And equally disappointing because I committed another service error at a crucial time of the game. We lost 23-10 eventhough we did our best.

Thank you to Mommy C for bearing with me. We lost both games but we still reached our goals: experience what it is like to play under real pressure, have fun, and get the freebies! There's another game on Saturday morning against the mislevelled mother and daughter. If we lose, we can always tell others a very acceptable reason: that we are not morning people...Heheh, ika nga nina Coach at J-le. Thank you to Mommy C's Papa M and my Mhel for the all-out support. And of course to the Baddicts! who cheered and cheered tirelessly, thank you for keeping our spirits high that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Credits:

Avatar by Cuz Marc
Banner Pix by Mhel
Paper from Playa kit by Robin Cabana
of Digital Freebies