Tuesday, May 10, 2005

leaders of tomorrow

On a rare instance that I'm watching Wowowee (rare, because I'm an Eat Bulaga fan), I was quite amused watching the portion "Willie of Fortune". Their contestants that day were supposed to be students who just graduated from High school. So I was somehow expecting to hear intelligent answers. Before the game proper started, the host asked all the contestants to speak in English. It was disgusting, much more disappointing. My spoken English is not perfect, I admit, but theirs were terrible, I'd say. But I stay tuned just the same as I waited or hoped to wait for witty answers. It proved to be a futile way to spend my time. Basing on their answers, they probably did not pay attention to their teachers' lectures. I simply refuse to unlearn some things, like:

Japan is the Pearl of the Orient, not the Philippines.
The T in UST is Technology, not Tomas.
Mars is the third planet from the Sun, not the Earth.

Other amusing facts as they deemed right:

Enrile is the proponent of "Let's DOH it!".
The Village People Filipino counterpart is the APO.

Ok, fine, they were under pressure. What pressure?!? Were they pressured to be funny? Yes, I was starting to believe that they were just nervous appearing on national TV. But how can one explain the speed by which they gave the correct answers to questions such as: "Who sang 'Top of the World'?" or "what is the nickname of Tirso Cruz III?" These kids probably have better things to do than study their lessons.

I hate to generalize but these are the future adults to run this country in twenty years or so. My gawd, I can't die and leave my children with these fools. Unless the government now, and most parents as well, realize how important education is, we're doomed. Maybe it's not yet too late.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger rors said...

hahaha! that's the best the schools could feed them. minsan, hard to blame it on the students din.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger dadaydamakulay said...

University of Santo Technology! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Credits:

Avatar by Cuz Marc
Banner Pix by Mhel
Paper from Playa kit by Robin Cabana
of Digital Freebies